375o 45 minutes to 1 hour
NOTE: If you do not want to spend the $$ on blueberries, use 2 cans of Comstock blueberries instead AND SKIP over the Filling ingredients AND Directions #3-7 below.
- 6 cups blueberries
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 wide strips lemon zest
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp whole-wheat flour
- ¼ tsp grated nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp salt
- ¾ cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- ½ cup firmly packed brown sugar
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 4 Tbsp butter, melted
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven
- Make the bottom crust (see Shaker pie crust recipe)(SKIP #3-7 if you are using canned blueberries)
- In saucepan over medium heat, combine 3 cups blueberries, ½ cup sugar and lemon zest. Crush the blueberries slightly. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally until reduced by half (about 20 minutes.
- Discard the lemon zest.
- Transfer the blueberry mixture to a large bowl and, stir in remaining 3 cups berries and ¼ cup sugar.
- Stir in the lemon juice, whole-wheat flour, nutmeg and salt.
- Let cool.
- Get out a cookie sheet
- In a medium bowl, combine nuts, brown sugar, whole-wheat flour, butter and salt.
- Squeeze the mixture into clumps with your hands
- Place the clumps onto the cookie sheet and then freeze for 30 minutes
- Pour the blueberry filling into the crust
- Optional: Add a handful of whole wheat flour into the blueberries (this will firm the filling up)
- Top the pie with the frozen crumb topping.
- Bake until the filling is bubbly and topping is golden brown (if the topping browns too quickly, cover it with foil)
- Let cool overnight or at least 4 hours.