IRON MAN CHILI
(The Doctors TV Show)
1 lb lean ground beef or 1-1/2 lbs filet mignon cut into ½ inch cubes
1 to 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 large onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 Tbsp tomato paste
1 28oz. can diced tomatoes
1-1/2 cups beef or chicken broth
1 14.5oz can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 14.toz can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 tsp black strap molasses (optional)
2 red bell peppers, chopped
1 Tbsp cumin
1/3 cup dark chili powder
Freshly ground pepper
Hot sauce to taste
Plain greek yogurt
Also – can cook some elbow macaroni and put chili over it
- Heat ½ Tbsp vegetable oil in large pot over medium-high heat.
- Put the beef dry and seasoned w/salt & pepper. Brown beef in pot adding more oil as needed. Transfer to plate. Drain any fat.
- Reduce heat to medium and add 1-1/2 Tbsp oil to pot. Add onions and garlic; cook, stirring until golden (about 6 minutes)
- Add 1/3 cup chili powder (minus 2 Tbsp), cumin, tomato paste, cook stirring 30 seconds.
- Return the meat to the pot and stir in the tomatoes with their juices, broth and beans. Bring to a boil. Then reduce heat and simmer, partially covered until the beef is tender (an hour or two)
- Stir in remaining 2 Tbsp chili powder into the chili.
- Top with greek yogurt (optional) and/or more hot sauce, to taste.