- 1 Tbsp butter
- 5 cups (crushed) strawberries
- 1 cup water
- 1 box Sure Jell (yellow box)
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 7 cups sugar
- Paraffin wax
- 5 8oz canning jars
NOTE: You will need 2-1/2 large containers of strawberries to make the above.
- In a large bowl, measure out the 7 cups of sugar
- Wash, hull and quarter strawberries (remove any white spots) and place in a large bowl
- Using the hand chopper, chop strawberries until they are in small pieces and juices are apparent. Then use potato masher to crush them down more.
- Using measuring cup, scoop out 5 cups of strawberries and place in a bowl.
- In a large pot over high heat, melt butter, add strawberries, water, sure jell, and lemon juice
- Stir often until it comes to a rolling boil that cannot be stirred down and then cook for 2 additional minutes
- Add all sugar and stir constantly until it comes to a rolling boil again. Once rolling cook for additional 2 minutes.
- Remove from stove, let stand 2 minutes and skim off any foam
- Using a measuring cup with a lip, scoop the hot strawberries into canning jar filling to bottom line of where lid will seal. BE CAREFUL the jam is extremely hot.
- Let jam cool completely (several hours or overnight) without lids on the jars.
- Once cooled, in a small pot over high heat, add block of paraffin and melt completely. BE CAREFUL, Paraffin is extremely flammable.
- Pour about ¼ inch of wax on top of jam
- Let cool completely, add lids and store jam at room temperature.
- Once paraffin wax is removed, keep jam refrigerated.